Friday, February 13, 2004

Celibacy and the Village

Sitting down to write my blog, I feel somewhat like TV's Sarah Jessica Parker. Except, I'm far from both sex and the city. Recently single and in a campus based university nestled in the Lancashire countryside, my life is far from the sexcapades of those four nubile New Yorkers (Channel 4, Fridays 10pm). I might be nubile, but I'm not a girl, and "not yet a woman."

If I am a TV show, I'm probably more of a Dawson's Creek (E4, Mondays 9pm) than a Sex and the City: Overly sentimental, alarmingly self-aware/obsessed, constantly analytical and with enough angst to spawn six seasons of will he?/won't he?/she loves me/she loves me not. But then I can't really relate to either of the male characters. I'm hardly an inspired filmmaker like Dawson nor do I posses the kind of endearing boyish charm of Pacey that can bed a high school teacher, however hard I may have - at one point - wished for both things.

In reality, I'm no more than an episode of The Office (BBC 2), this blog being the sort of talking head sequence that makes that show as funny as it is awkward. Is reading this as uncomfortable as watching David Brent compare his departure from Wernham Hogg to that of Jesus leaving Bethlehem for Nazareth? Or Gareth Keenan brag of his ability to "catch a monkey"? If that is the case, if I am like an episode of The Office, I don't know if I should apologise. I just won a Golden Globe. In your face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, being an episode of The Office is never something to apologise for. It is only something to brag about. The fact that roughly 50% of the words and phrases that emerge from San's mouth were originally written by Messrs Gervais and Merchant means that this choice of televisual analogy is entirely appropriate.

Alex Twose

Anonymous said...

It was Mrs. Baggely wasn't it.
I knew I wasn't the only one!

Andrew "Doggy" Daborn

San Sharma said...

Doggy, we were two of many.