Saturday, March 20, 2004

Back to the Future

Good evening blogees. I'm coming to you live from the year 1994, thanks to the marvelous technology of...coming home for Easter Break. Somehow every homecoming is like time travel. Whether I'm returning from a semester at University, a year abroad in California or a trip to the petrol station down the street, I can always rely on everything here remaining exactly the same - not a scrunchy unscrunched, a Bush in office, or an episode of Friends yet begun. Unfortunately, it also means that I'm back to the World Wide Wait of dial-up Internet, and so I'm writing this offline, not downloading an episode of Friends (because it doesn't exist yet), and not peppering this entry with Google search results.

(For better or) worse still, unlike my blog studio at University, where I've no TV, Channel 4 is playing here in the background and I'll admit that The 100 Greatest Films show is very distracting, and unexpectedly comforting. At #18 is The Matrix, a scene from which just flashed on the screen, its title superimposed and, in brackets the date of its release, 1999. If by coming home I have gone back in time, I'm at the most only five years back.

So I'm going to see which film makes #1. While I'm gone post a comment and let me know what would hit your top spot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you already! I too was watching the top 100 films, but only made it to 9 as then I transfered to the brilliance of Sky, and 2004, and watched "Sex and the City: Farewell" which was so great. Anyway, my question is - what was number 1? If I remember from before (as if channel 4 showed a repeat! :O Good God, never.) ..it is the geek voters' nostalgia-parading-as-quality-filmmaking choice of Star Wars, which would be highly disconcerting. Greatest film ever?! That has to be... The Sweetest Thing ;) hehe

Beth

San Sharma said...

The correct answer is indeed Star Wars...well, I don't know if it's the CORRECT answer, it's just the answer that Channel 4 viewers gave. I can't say that I agree since I've skillfully managed to avoid watching any of the Star Wars franchise. Although I think I can ascertain its plot from the oh-so-many references that make up our daily lives.

Beth, you'll know how I can get obsessed with a film and be wholly convinced it is the greatest ever, buy the DVD box set, set it aside as my only topic of conversation for at least two weeks, only to have it escape my memory soon after. (That is until Channel 4 rekindles the ol' passion.) I'm more likely to tell you which films are NOT the greatest ever. Channel 4 is currently showing the new Shaft and providing an apt example of such.

Aw Beth, I miss you - and I'm sure my readers will too when they realise that the slick, professionalism of my blog was actually the work of a sharp proof-reader/editor/censorship council. Come back to work!