Sunday, April 09, 2006

Baby Brown

Nannying has had its fair share of bad PR. British au pair, Louise Woodward and her murder trial did little for its image; so too did Jude Law when he, rather bizarrely, cheated on his fiancĂ©e, Sienna Miller with his children’s nanny. Then, of course, there was the Robin Williams film, Mrs Doubtfire, in which the profession is depicted as an opportunity for some cross-dressing, gender bending, slapstick humour. (“My first day as a woman and I am already having hot flashes.”)

And though, in her casual clothes, she does look somewhat like a small boy, my ex-girlfriend, Beth, is single-handedly improving the public image of the au pair industry. She is meticulous in her care of the four Wheeler children and careful too, to instil some racial tolerance at an early age. I witnessed this first hand yesterday, when I met with Beth and her youngest – two-year old Bea.

“I like your shirt,” I said. “It’s pink. Do you like pink?”
“Yeah,” she replied, coyly.
“My shirt is blue.” I said, pointing to it. “Do you like blue?"
“Yeah,”
“And what about brown, Bea?” asked Beth. Then, pointing at my face, “Do you like brown?”
She thought about it. It was an excruciating moment, but rewarded with relief.
“Yeah,” said Bea. “Brown!”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought Beth was looking after four-wheeled children, which was much more exciting, like au pairing for the Transformers or something

Anonymous said...

haha
well.. the story was slightly misquoted. And San forget to mention that as the children of The White Company founder, who lived in white old Shropshire in a very very white house... I thought it was important San approached Bea with caution, and with another lovely and good brown thing - chocolate. It went a long way in teaching her that brown wasn't all bad. Although since we've been potty training, she's not a fan of poo.

Beth
p.s. I'm not au pairing them San! I'm a full time sole charge nanny! Jeez.

Anonymous said...

oh my god.
have you really just compared san and poo.
oh my god.

Anonymous said...

mind you, i suppose he did compare you to a small boy.

San Sharma said...

Hence, the attraction.