Friday, March 03, 2006

Postcard from a Big Guy in a Small Town

You can take the big guy out of the small town but not the small town out of the big guy.

This is the lesson I learned from my stay in Davis, the sleepy college town where, you might remember, I stayed for a year and, more recently, vowed to never return.

Posterity, a remaining friend and a convenient stop on our road trip led us there. And a girl - isn't there always a girl? - may just bring us back.

I'm vowing to never take more vows. Unless of course it is one of holy matrimony with Sonia, the young lady my friend Amber introduced us to.

And though we'd wished, with the Beach Boys a-blaring on the car stereo that "they all could be/California girls", Sonia hails from Spain. But she'll always hold a place in my beer swilled heart.

I might have been under the influence, but my eyes had ne'er seen a more beautiful site. And bear in mind, we're road tripping down the Pacific Coastal Highway.

Having sobered up and hit the road (in that order), it occurs to me that I've either fallen pretty hard for Sonia or bumped my head. I say this because we've driven some 250 miles but no further from her delightful memory.

The catch - and isn't there always a catch? She has a boyfriend, albeit a pig, who pays her little attention and time.

With three weeks remaining I could give her both those things. Unfortunately, all I leave her with is a stolen kiss and a goodbye.

No comments: