Monday, April 18, 2005

Postcard from Court

"Welcome to Santa Maria," he says. And then with the blatant disregard for accuracy that we have come to expect from Fox News reporters, "It´s a million miles from England!"

And that´s where I am. Well, more precisely, I´m sitting in the media camp just outside the small courthouse where Michael Jackson is currently fighting multiple charges of abduction, false imprisonment and child molestation.

Here, from a shanty town of satellite dishes and news vans, the media provide daily updates on the court proceeding. But news reports that Santa Maria is a quant and charming place does little to endorse its credibility.

Tomorrow morning however it will become an altogether more glamorous place, albeit under dismal circumstances, when Michael Jackson walks from his blacked-out SUV to the white washed walls of the Santa Maria courthouse.

In the words of two infamous Californians, one the leader of the state, originally from Europe, the other former frontman of the Jackson Five, seemingly from outer space, I'm going to "Beat It" but "I´ll be back."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$100 says you're going to be too embarrassed to suddenly shout out "Miiiiichhaaeel!" in chorus with the other obese midwesterners and teenage girls. It's going to come as quite a shock, the subdued passion of your earlier years.
I recommend you take Stephen Colbert's ironic tone and shout "Michael, If you're guilty, keep walking!" Lol. It'd be classic for the film.

San Sharma said...

You were so right. By the time I actually got to the gates of Neverland (more on that later) I really needed to pee and of all the questions to ask ol' Mickey J, all I could think of was, "Can I use your bathroom?"