Thursday, May 06, 2004

My Morrissey Moment

There comes a moment in a young man's life when he finds himself in the forlorn, Mancunian melancholy of Morrissey, lead singer of '80s indie band, The Smiths, and general naysayer of misery. Don't worry if your moment hasn't yet come. It will, however happy and content you feel now.

It came for American singer Ryan Adams, whose Morrissey moment was recorded with Smiths' producer John Porter for his new album Love Is Hell, which I will review once I've decided whether it's as good as Jeff Buckley's Grace, as I'm beginning to suspect, or more Will & Grace. I'm still not sure which, but one thing is certain and that is that Adams is one of many young men on both sides of the Atlantic suffering from what experts call, Morrissitis. That is, he is experiencing his 'Morrissey moment', a deep understanding of the romantic angst and social alienation of Smiths songs, and - just as every sibling claims "black sheep" status - an affinity with the Mozza himself, as NME so affectionately nickname the singer.

With songs such as 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me', 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now', the observational 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others', and my favourite, 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out', The Smiths were clearly in tune with those on the cusp of youth and young manhood. The latter, pointedly their most romantic song, boasts the chorus:

And if a double-decker bus Crashes into us To die by your side Is such a heavenly way to die And if a ten-ton truck Kills the both of us To die by your side Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

It was a song that I heard the morning of my cousin's wedding last weekend and one that I had stuck in my head, where I tried desperately to keep it, fearing that the newlyweds might misconstrue Morrissey's most romantic song as being somewhat downbeat. Another cousin, Praag, recognised my incessant humming and a conversation soon ensued between two Morrissitis sufferers. "'Girlfriend In A Coma' is really the quintessential Smiths song," Praag said. "The upbeat melody and the shockingly downbeat lyrics are classic Morrissey."

Girlfriend in a coma, I know I know - it's serious Girlfriend in a coma, I know I know - it's really serious
There were times when I could Have "murdered" her (But you know, I would hate Anything to happen to her)
No, I don't want to see her!

The quintessence of Ryan Adam's Morrissey moment can be heard on 'Anybody Wanna Take Me Home', the most obviously Smiths influenced track on Love Is Hell that sees our hero lurking in the corner of a bar, watching others and "dancing in the coma/of the drinks [he] just had". Elsewhere, his flirtations with love and death lack the tongue-in-cheek, or rather foot-in-mouth, of Morrissey's lyrics. On 'Afraid Not Scared' Adams sings, "I'm really dying here", and indeed the grave sincerity of his album makes for a penetrating and challenging listen, and one that I'll evaluate soon. For now, I'm going to take Love Is Hell out of my CD player and go to be bed. Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

No comments: