Saturday, May 01, 2004

A Ham Sandwich

Argh! Michael Jackson is driving me crazy! And not like in the Eighties when he rocked the suburbs with his infectious grooves, driving a rainbow hued generation Off the Wall and moonwalking to the discothèques. This time, twenty years from Thriller, his latest record might be criminal, as he faces ten charges of child molestation, abduction and conspiracy, as read to him yesterday at his arraignment in Santa Maria, California.

He is again everywhere, and the sensational coverage of this case, although not yet a trial but already that of the century, has driven me to use my blog as an occasional alternative news outlet and since, as I’ve just seen, CNN enlist an expert panel of entertainment moguls, television presenters and Loyola State University law professors, I might offer my ‘expertise’.

CNN’s expert panel spoke with an assumption of Jackson’s guilt and yet dedicated a segment of the show to defending his prosecutor, District Attorney Tom Sneddon against charges of unfair practice, even advising that we not judge the D.A., as he has been unfairly represented by the media and Jackson’s interchangeable lawyers. Well, the King of Pop has hardly been treated like royalty by CNN and other such news outlets.

I have to go, but before I do I just want to remind you – because CNN won’t – that Jackson, or anybody facing trial, should be presumed innocent until proven guilty and that an indictment is just a formal accusation arising from a Grand Jury, having been presented evidence by the prosecutor only. There is a saying, ‘you can indict a ham sandwich,’ but I would still advise that you presume its innocence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on, San...

I'm so glad that I found your blog, San...I've been seeing this same problem in the media -- too much feel of a presumption of guilt in this case -- though what I've lacked is both someone else to buttress a presumption of innocence and more information about the case...and SO, SO much of the media coverage of this case is sensationalistic that I don't know whom I can trust...it's not that I want dry media coverage...I love John Stewart, for instance...it's that there has been so much hysterics in this case for people to even see straight, it seems to me...and it concerns me for Michael's welfare...

And especially after Martha Stewart, it's becoming apparent to me that an American public hurting from job cuts and a recession that disproportionately hurts them and their families, is out for blood when it comes to the rich and famous...and that's no good for anyone, I don't think...

I've noticed that with some recent and unfortuntate run-ins I've had with our sheriff's office here in town (insurance and registration tickets from when I was unemployed and had no money for either, but needed a car to maintain a job)...they play this game where they presume guilt but then pretend like their doing everything by the book...it's very discouraging...and it's been a too unfortunate opportunity to see that ugliness up-close...even many of my liberal friends presume guilt in many criminal cases...and they don't really pay enough attention to the inconsistency that they hate dealing with the cops when it comes to their own illegal activities -- like drugs -- but they presume guilt in cases where are afraid of the crimes -- like pedophilia...

I think there's something in the water, here in the States, right now, San...I think it's fear...it's terrorism...it's the recession...it's all the lawsuits being flung about right now...it's joblessness...it's their fears of crime, especially all the recent hysterics about pedophilia...and I think people are just kind of going nuts right now...and people like Martha Stewart and Michael Jackson may just be getting caught in the wake of this stuff, unfortunately...

I do have to say that the little bit I've see of Tom Snedden, I don't trust him much...he seems bitter and calloused (especially those jokes in the press conference) and kind of weasley...worst of all...he does not look like a man who will back down easily if he is wrong:(...that may not bode well for Michael...and he has an American public, right now, which is snide and bitter and cynical...it's a deadly combination, San...and I have to say that it could prove a very tragic combination for Mr. Jackson...

Michael has a lot of people supporting him, which is helpful...and we'll hopefully get a better idea, as the case moves along, what actually happened and...

My deepest fear, here, San, is that people will not be looking to be constructive with whatever situation we have on our hands, here, no matter what actually happened...that people are scared and that they're looking for blood...

And worst of all...that we may do something to Michael that we will all have to live with on our consciences...

It's very tragic to think that we may do a tragic and potentially very dangerous injustice to Michael Jackson with this case...but's it's still a very real possibility...I hope it remains only a hypothetical:(...

I've to to go, here, San...I'll talk with you again, soon...

Ben

San Sharma said...

Thanks Ben! And I think you're spot on. Fear is driving Americans to act, or rather overreact, to current affairs with an unsettling violence. Aggression is dominating its cultural sectors too, and I think it's no coincidence that the top 3 at the box office right now are revenge movies: Man on Fire, Kill Bill Vol. 2, The Punisher.

There are some great articles on the Michael Jackson case linked from my blog that are definitely worth a read, especially 'New Charges and Jackson's Best Defense', which really highlights Sneddon's criminal bias.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a run in with your Sheriff. Of course, I'm presuming innocence in your case too. ;-0

San Sharma said...

LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT
PRESS RELEASE
Wednesday, June 2, 2004


"Michael Jackson Investigation"

Los Angeles: On May 28, 2004, Detectives from the Los Angeles Police Department’s Juvenile Division officially concluded their 2-month investigation into allegations of child abuse against Michael Jackson.

The person making the allegations claimed the acts took place in the City of Los Angeles in the late 1980’s. After an extensive investigation, which included hours of interviews with the person making the allegations, Detectives concluded there was no evidence that any crime occurred. No charges will be sought.

This news advisory was prepared by Lieutenant Art Miller, Media Relations Section, at 213-485-3586.

http://www.lapdonline.org/press_releases/2004/06/pr04305.htm