Sunday, April 11, 2004

The Father Michael Jackson Paid Off

Since being home from University for Spring Break television has sadly been some of the best company I’ve had, and for the most part the stimulus for my blog musings. Tonight’s entry is no exception, as last night’s viewing compels me to write on an issue I have thus far refrained from discussing, and that is the child molestation case against Michael Jackson.

Child Sex Sells

It is an issue that last night the BBC raised with the usual sensationalism that surrounds child sex hysteria that, like regular sex before it, is selling like hot cakes and is sure to draw in the crowds. Throw in arguably the world’s most famous most living man and you’ve got yourself a ratings winner. But like most products boasting appeal but lacking substance (think luxury items – chocolates, perfumes, Schwarzenegger movies) the pointedly titled The Boy Michael Jackson Paid Off was exquisitely packaged with deftly edited archive footage, a remixed Jacko soundtrack and (thankfully tasteful) dramatic reconstructions, but ultimately lacking the hard facts to make the tagline, “Is Michael Jackson a lost child or a paedophilic man?” a real conundrum.

The documentary come crime saga come music video dealt with the first of two allegations concerning child sex abuse and Michael Jackson, its recurrence perhaps the only reasoning for serious trial for both prosecutors’ –the Santa Barbara District Attorney trying Jackson and the salacious media prematurely hanging him. Otherwise it told a story that not only seemingly exonerated Michael Jackson but proved him a twice victim of extortion – the scams of this and the last century. You might be forgiven for believing he was guilty of these charges, considering the erroneous media coverage, but you’d be wrong.

From the Dentist’s Chair

Michael Jackson may in fact be guilty of poor judgement, having made himself vulnerable to such charges by not addressing his penchant for the bedtime company of small children since the 1993 allegations, but he is no paedophile. Those allegations, and the subject of the BBC programme, sprung from a sum of child custody, Hollywood aspiration and dodgy dentistry and went public when a private settlement with Jackson was not reached. That original settlement of a movie deal was solicited by dentist and aspiring script writer, Evan Chandler, the estranged biological father privately accusing Michael Jackson of molesting his son, Jordan. When that deal was not met the accusations went public, and as Evan Chandler had promised in a secretly taped telephone conversation, “I will get everything I want, and they will be destroyed forever. June [the mother] will lose custody of the boy and Michael’s career will be over.” When Dave Shwartz, Jordan’s stepfather and the other half of that conversation asked how his plan might help the boy, Evan replied, “That’s irrelevant to me.”

Although ‘the boy’ admitted to sharing a bed with Jackson he had never himself accused the star of any sexual misconduct. That was until Evan performed dental work on his son, during which he decided to intravenously administer sodium Amytal, a psychiatric drug unusual in baby-tooth extraction but known to provide false memories. Evan then took Jordan to a child psychiatrist who was required to file a report with the authorities, a criminal investigation began and the media had something of a field day.

HIStory Repeating

The first case of child sex abuse involving Jordan Chandler, hence the title of the documentary, was settled out of court when it became clear to Jackson and his lawyers that justice might not prevail, not without an agonising ordeal. The LAPD had invested millions of dollars in their investigation, interviewing scores of children all over the world, not one of whom accused Jackson of any wrongdoing, despite the zealous and maverick techniques of detectives: they told interviewees that other children had admitted to it when they had not. A humiliating strip search was then issued on Michael Jackson and photographs were taken of his body but they did not match the description Jordan had given. And although a plethora of ‘witnesses’ had appeared before the court of public opinion, on television and in the press, none agreed to testify against Jackson and when Evan accepted the out of court settlement the LAPD reluctantly announced that no criminal charges would be brought against Michael Jackson citing a lack of evidence.

Despite being investigated by the Department of Children’s Services and dropped, the same district attorney from the 1993 case Tom Sneddon jumped at the chance to pursue claims that arose after the Martin Bashir documentary, Living with Michael Jackson was aired in February last year. In his final year of service before retirement Sneddon, having been ridiculed by Jackson in a 1995 song that accused him of “brothering with the KKK”, could not contain his excitement at an initial press conference where he jokingly encouraged the media attention that might improve California’s failing economy. The excitement wore off when Sneddon twice asked the presiding Superior Court judge Clifford Anderson for more time to gather evidence.

This time however Michael Jackson is going to court. But when you consider the history of the previous case, for which Evan Chandler actually hopes to sell the movie rights, and the history of the current accuser, who has twice previously claimed that her son has been abused to receive out-of-court settlements, we might wonder why the media is seriously asking if Michael Jackson is a paedophile. He might be an idiot most of the time but he is not as Bad or as Dangerous as his album titles would have us believe. And I certainly hope he is not HIStory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know:)...I've read your posts tirelessly and thoroughly to discover your name, only to be perpetually disappointed:):):):)...

You write extremely well:)...it's very impressive...and this post is one of your most brilliant and courageous, I think...I very much appreciate it...

I've shared your concern about sensationalism in the coverage of this case...I, of course, have taken the presumption of innonence seriously in this and any criminal case...but what you write here is pretty damning of any criminal case against Michael...I have to admit that I've been sucked in, a bit, by the cynicism about this case among my friends who are out of school, though I've always thought that Michael deserved our presumption of innocence and our genuine concern, rather than the insanity that has swept up this case...it is very refreshing, to say the least, to hear someone think and write about this case with a clear head...I very, very much appreciate it...I'll be sending people to your blog from my blog...very impressive stuff:):):):):)...

What is your Ph.D. work in?...curious...my Ph.D. work is in special education, though my work has broadened considerably lately to deeper issues in policy and psychology...what is your dissertation in?...I've been taking time off school (I actually resigned my pretty considerable stipend and left school for a time in protest of the No Child Left Behind Act)and I haven't talked dissertation stuff with someone seriously in quite a while...I'd love to hear what you're working on:):):):):)...

I'll definitely be coming back:)...you're writing is superb:)...

Ben

San Sharma said...

Well Ben, thanks for your glowing review – I’m really glad you enjoy the blog and that yours, one of so few comments, was so complimentary. I wish I was so bold to post it on the homepage or at least on the guestbook, where it would sit neatly beside the anonymous “you are ugly” comment that sullies that page! And thanks also for alerting me to the serious flaw of my blog, which nowhere mentions my name, and so I refer you and any other readers curious to my main site, http://goodbyepicasso.tripod.com/ where such information and more may be obtained.

Of course, Michael Jackson should be presumed innocent, but the legal eagles and other such ‘beacons’ of justice involved in this case should not be presumed guilty of orchestrating a conspiracy against Jackson and his right to a fair trial. Sadly, in a week in which a new allegation of child abuse against Jackson has been reported by the media I suspect this is the case.

The reported incident took place in L.A. twenty years ago and if, as CNN reported, the alleged victim is now eighteen years old, Jackson may be guilty of molesting an unborn child. These new complaints were brought to the police by the familiar team of lawyer Gloria Alred, professional critic of Jackson’s lifestyle, currently working the daytime TV circuit, and Carole Lieberman, the same Beverly Hills psychiatric who filed last year’s allegations and counselled the new alleged victim, helping him recover repressed memories of the assault. It’s a small world, but one in which surprisingly the numbers work in Jackson’s favour. According to a study conducted by the National Crimes Against Children Laboratory, only one in three accusations of child abuse leads to indictment. And incidentally, when this new claim involving Jackson was uncovered by the LAPD as a hoax it was reported with far less zeal.

The claim’s dismissal could have gone unnoticed altogether, leaving a potential jury pool thinking that third strike means out for Jackson – guilty by association right? Where there’s smoke there’s fire? Not quite. The allegation and its timing suggest that Jackson is an open-season target for those with a get-rich-quick-scheme in mind. After all, he still represents deep pockets. Oh, and while all this was going on, did something happen in Iraq?

Anonymous said...

San...

I don't presume bad faith on the part of the justice system (and actually it's pretty encouraging to find an American Studies person who doesn't presume in that direction, either:):):):):):)...but I do think that the public, and to some degree, the Justice system, tends to rush to judgment in ways that are neither humane or just, too often...and this was a case where, as I admit, even I think that I rushed too quickly, even as I tried to walk lightly...the case could still pan out, which, to me means for me, since I work as much out of mental health as out of policy, that Michael would need a lot of help not a lot of recrimination...but it's too serious a charge, I think, for the public, nevertheless the criminal justice system, to take so lightly as to presume anything less than innnocence...

Sorry about referring to you as a woman on my site:(:)...I don't know why I assumed that...I think I just got a nice experience in that "ass out of you and me" lesson my 6th grade teacher taught us:)...

So what's your dissertation on, San? You seem awfully centered for an American Studies student, I must say...I had a terribly bad experience with an American Studies professor in our department who's union-loyal Marxist leftism no only left conversations self-righteous and tedious, it left them a bit out of touch with reality, to say the least...I don't gather that kind of leftism from you...

So what are studying, specifically?...

Ben