Friday, October 09, 2009

Talking-point pen



I spend most of my time at my computer. And now that I have push email on my phone, it's like I'm carrying around a baby monitor, constantly listening out for the gurgling of an inbox or the wailing of an unread RSS reader.

So it felt very strange indeed to shut down my computer, as I did last week, and sit at a desktop not cluttered with icons and folders but with pens and pencils and actual paper. I thought I'd revisit an old pastime by drawing a relatively new one - my guitar. I'd taken it up when I last eschewed technology, albeit not through choice, when our Internet connection went down at University. (I taught myself how to play 'I Can't Live (If Living Is Without You)' whilst waiting to be reconnected.)

And - do you know what? - it was pretty good! So I signed myself up for a life drawing drop-in session in Islington. "To draw," as I kept telling people. "Not to model!" Like anyone thought that was the case. But it wasn't until I got there that I realised how strange it was - not to be in a room with naked strangers (if anything, it was probably the best way to wean me off the Internet), but to be in a room with strangers altogether...

I work from home and for myself; I rarely have meetings with people I haven't Googled; and I've been with my girlfriend long enough to know all of her friends and for her to know all of mine. And yet there I was, in a room full of strangers, two of them completely undressed, not knowing a single soul.

For the most part it didn't matter. We sat there, scribbling away, trying not to look directly at the penis, as if it were the sun peeking out from a solar eclipse. Occasionally someone would hold up a pencil as if they were trying to block it out completely. But it was quiet and everyone got on with it.

But then the tutor called for a break. 'Oh no!' I thought. 'Chit-chat'. Thinking I could bypass the whole ordeal, I skipped out to the bathroom and stayed as long as I could without appearing to have an actual medical problem. But by the time I got back the students had paired up exactly. There must have been an odd number of attendees - and I was that odd number.
The tutor announced that we had ten minutes left of our break.
'How long is this break?!' I thought. I tried to fill it by alternately looking at my own sketches, which made me feel conceited; by looking at other people's, which made me feel nosy; or by looking at the models, who were now draped in sarongs, sipping coffee. That made me feel more like a pervert than when they were naked. And so I realised that I had no choice but to make conversation.

"That's an interesting pen," I heard one student remark to another. It was my way in, I thought. I'd mention the pen.
"Yeah, you squeeze it to control the flow of ink," replied the other. They were both student age of the conventional sense. Student students.
"That's an interesting pen!" I interjected. It was only when they turned to face me that I realised how close we were all sitting. We nearly bumped noses. There was no way I couldn't have overheard their conversation.
"Yeah," she went on, looking bemused. "You, er, squeeze it."
"Okay, that's time!" shouted the tutor, signalling the end of the break. I wasn't sure whether I was relieved that the agony of breaktime was over or disappointed that I hadn't moved beyond pen chat to redeem myself as a conversational virtuoso. I didn't get another chance. In fact, "that's an interesting pen," was the only thing I said all night. And - do you know what? - it wasn't even an interesting pen. It was a ball-point.

2 comments:

Charis said...

Interesting. My Daddy, the work-from-home Graphic Designer, is also not great with new people, takes some time to warm up... but I had never made that connection. Very interesting.

phil morgan said...

San Sharma => tongue-tied and adrift,in company; that's a new one to me, and it's taking some time to visualise it properly