Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Great, white and blue

It took me a little while to get into the band, The National. Might be because their name is one word short of The National Front. It's more likely because I didn't have their CD.

But I got Alligator yesterday and it's brilliant. In fact, I've been playing 'Mr November' for almost eight hours straight.

I think it saved my life.

Though lyrics like, "I'm the great white hope/I'm the new blue blood," do little to separate the Indie rockers from that other 'National' group, there's something about lead singer, Matt Berninger's baritone and the energy with which the band pop out the 4-minute wonder that gives me hope.

Even if I'll never be great or white. Or blue even.

The Nationalmr november

3 comments:

Peter said...

Come on - you knew i'd comment on this! The compilation I made you with it on was made in August 2005. So just under two years to get my point across.

sarah said...

i miss music. thai pop doesnt count. have i missed the arrival of any great new bands or singers since i have been away?
poor pete, by the way.

San Sharma said...

Ha ha! I know, Pete. The post was partly intended to wind you up. Maybe next time I'll write about how I got you into Neil Diamond.

And Sarah, there's nothing wrong with Thai pop. Have you ever heard of Thai Elvis (a.k.a. Kevin)? You should definitely check out the "Thai-light zone" next time you're in LA.