Saturday, April 07, 2007

Gay pride

"Sunshine makes British people act crazy. Like...nice and everything."

Twitter update 06:03 PM April 05, 2007

It's a Bank Holiday weekend and spring has sprung its sunny self on us, like a hot, unexpected guest at a party. It's like we're so used to bad weather - and ugly people - that we don't know how to act.

White guys everywhere are wasting no time in impressing our new guest by whipping off their shirts and parading their pastiness with puffed-up pride.

Even I've been acting sort of strange. So overwhelmed was I with the morning sun that I sent a group text message, to around thirty people, announcing my good mood, the good weather and the apparent good news that I was, in no way, a homosexual.

"The sun - and the San - is out," it read. Quickly followed by a disclaimer - "Sorry, I'm not 'coming out.' Just wishing you all a good day."

"The lady doth protest too much," read one response. "You are gay," said another.

Well, if 'gay' is being happy and carefree maybe that's what I am. And proud too.

But heterosexual, I will add. And enjoying the sunshine.

No comments: