Thursday, September 28, 2006

This is a low

There's an old Indian saying - "do not judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins." That's a lot of moonwalking and, when you're in the Netherlands, an uncomfortable trot in wooden clogs.

Nevertheless, I squeezed into a pair (metaphorically, of course) and trotted to an infamous 'coffee shop' in the Red Light District. (Where else would I suggest when accompanying my boss on a business trip?)

It was horribly garish. And utterly uninspired. A Rastafarian at the counter, toad stools for chairs and Japanese tourists sucking on spliffs, making peace signs for pictures.

The 'buffalo soldier' at the bar turned down the music, the crowd sang loudly and while everyone else got high I thought to myself, this is a low.

1 comment:

The Mind Gardener said...

I had the same experience in Amsterdam's Red Light District myself! I had stop over there and my flight-buddy and I decided to check it out. As you said -- very garish and nasty. We were there at 8 am on a Saturday and saw men stumbling out of the little 'fun rooms'. Pretty gross!