Monday, July 10, 2006

A Not-So Superplan

If you know me/have read my blog/been in ear-shot of any number of recent conversations you'll know that I'm very excited about the UK release of Superman Returns this Friday.

So excited, in fact, that I rushed out - faster than a speeding bullet - and bought more tickets than people I know. Anxious, perhaps optimistically, that the Man of Steel's return to the Silver Screen would sell out, I spent more money than logic today when booking seats over the Internet - reserving two for the 12:30pm showing in Shrewsbury, another two for 1pm that same day in Telford, and two more for an 8pm showing later that evening.

That's six tickets, for three showings - two of which commence within a half hour of each other, are in two towns 10 miles apart and one frankly expensive and badly planned day.

Worse still, Pete's working, Emma's in London, Beth's in York (and is so sick of Superman and its oft-quoted trailer - "the world doesn't need a saviour...and neither do I" - she wouldn't come anyway); and the only girl who might put up with my hand holding, tear welling, nausea inducing excitement is gone, in a similar and badly planned break-up. If I'd have just hung on...

I don't know what's more depressing: that I don't know five other people to take to the cinema, that I can't work an online booking form, or that I'll be watching perhaps the most eagerly anticipated movie event of my adult life alone, in an ill fitting Superman costume, with an empty seat beside me to put my red polyester cape.

Super.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

superman reminded me so much of you. i mean, of course there are the tights and cape, but something about clark's, i don't know, gestures seemed very similar to yours. he's sort of self-conscious, in an endearing way. i guess you'll see on friday. i hope you find someone to sit next to.

San Sharma said...

I hope so too. But let's hope that bumbling, mild-mannered reporter is where the parallels end. [Spoiler ahead...] If your secret, five year old son hurls a piano across the room then we've got problems.

Thanks for getting in touch, Mandy. Are you free Friday lunch/afternoon/later that evening?