Thursday, January 05, 2006

Can't Buy Me Love

For all its techno wizardry, match.com follows simple, if outmoded, rules of dating. In the real world you might linger at the bar, building up the courage to approach the object of your desire, practising your witty and ironic opener in your head, before going for the kill. On match.com you send a virtual wink. It lets the other person know that you’re interested.

If, like me, you’ve registered for match.com but not yet paid the subscription fee, winking is all you can do. It’s like being outside of the bar, pushing your face up against the glass and winking at the hottie in the short dress. Without paying the cover charge you’re just a weirdo, winking.

And so, I’m tempted to pay the subscription charge (I figure I’m pretty weird as it is), but wonder how else I could invest that money towards finding a date…

New shirt: £30
Cover charge: £6
Drinks: £30
Cab fare home: £10
Pot noodle: £1.20
Watching Jonathan Ross on your own: Priceless.

Right. Where’s my credit card?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

c'mon. its been a week dude. fill us in. have you handed your fate over to match.com via a subscription fee or what.