Saturday, June 11, 2005

Jerry Maguire 2

Hello. Of all American romantic comedies, Jerry Maguire is probably the least likely to spawn a sequel. That is, of course, unless Tom Cruise and Renée Zellweger were to reprise their roles for a decidedly downbeat divorce drama. (Can you imagine? Jerry Maguire 2: “Show me the child support!”)

Still, I delivered a memo with such veracity last night that it left me feeling, and not for the first time, like our chisel-jawed hero. Short of taking the gold fish with me (I do hope you’ve seen the film), I outlined my idea to revolutionise business to a somewhat panic-stricken company director.

“Oh God. What is that?” She asked, pointing at page three of the memo.
“That...that is a sketch of my brain.”
“Right.”
“It delineates how much of it I use for each task…”
“Was there a need for the blood?”
“I thought it would add...effect.” Then, standing suddenly, I shouted, “who’s with me?!”
“San, there’s no-one else in the room.”

And so the meeting continued. She pointed at indecipherable sketches; I explained my intentions; all the while, skating the underside of thin-ice, aware that at any point – and I almost expected it at the page headed, “Don't Chase Money” – she might present me with a box of my belongings (which is always the way people are fired in movies. Have you noticed?).

Instead, she went very quiet, gathering her thoughts, I guess, and the memo that lay strewn across the table. And in the silence, I pictured a box somewhere, filling with executive toys, issues of NME, an assortment of biscuits, and whatever else I have on my office desk (overdue work probably).

It’s unlikely that I will be fired. But, if I did have to go, it would be nice to have a fish or a Renée Zellweger to take with me. And you, of course. Though I had you at ‘hello,’ right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehehe

Anonymous said...

love it!! you had me at hello. hahah!

Anonymous said...

Hi San, it's Lauren of Lancaster and Maine fame! I read your blog from time to time, mainly because your life is so much more exciting than mine! But I feel compelled today to comment as you have brought up a sore subject...JERRY MAGUIRE. I love that film, it was my favourite but now Tom Cruise has royally annoyed me with all his sofa jumping and I thought Katie Holmes had more dignity! Anyway I can't bring myself to watch Jerry anymore...Just needed to get that off my chest! Hope you are well. x

San Sharma said...

"Lancaster and Maine fame" indeed, and everywhere in between - hello Lauren, you little love muffin.

Sorry, but talk of the Tom has brought the old romancer out of me and just a little bit of nausea.

I couldn't agree with you more, Lozza, and only wish the Cruiser had landed on his perfectly formed face when jumping on Oprah's couch. And Katie from the Creek? Come on, girlfriend. Everybody know he gay.

Good to hear from you dude.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I totally agree. It's so funny how everyone now thinks he's actually crazy - like we all had this fantasy of him being as smooth, dignified, cool and kind as his characters (and let's face it, from his photos) but when we get to see how he's just as annoying as normal people in reality! Ah to be a crazy normal person - it's great! No-one had any pre-conceived expectations! See you later. I'm going to jump on my sofa. Naked.
Beth
p.s. Hi Lauren! You're still welcome to visit me whenever you like!