Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Kerouac Makes Me Look Good

I couldn't help feeling like a poser, sitting on the steps of my university square this balmy evening, reading Kerouac and wearing a tie, the fashion accessory with absolutely no ascertainable function. Tonight however I was unashamedly wearing it for pleasure, a throwback from my Grammar School days, when it was a compulsory part of the uniform. I was reading Kerouac too, not because it is assigned reading, but purely because - like the tie - I wanted to. And I've decided, they both make me look good.

My thoughts of this, and my road trip with Kerouac and company, were interrupted by the loud, loutish laughter of a couple of ruffian youths, drinking below the legal age and clearly demonstrating the effects. They had stumbled onto my university campus, perhaps already drunk, and found themselves like me on the steps, not sporting ties or Kerouac, but a kind of vocabulary not foreign to the Beat Generation. I gave the illusion that I was actually reading - or that I could read at all - and listened in on their conversation, as if observing a Tourette's Syndrome case study.

"F****ing university man," one slurred, looking to a crowd of girls huddled by the ATM. "One big gangbang" - a combination of words I've not before heard to describe the three years and thousands of pounds spent here, and certainly not one I'll use when thanking my parents, the investors, on graduation day. He continued to describe to the younger ruffian his view of university life, clearly a bit skewed and inspired by the filmic output of the San Fernando Valley. I hated to burst his bubble with the pin that the girls by the ATM were probably not on their way to a group act of love and instead got up from my step, clutching Kerouac, and said simply, "Yep. Gangbang." With that I walked off into the sunset and further into an evening of reverse orgy, alone and unaroused.

On my walk, I thought to myself that university life might not be the gangbang of the ruffian's perverse imagination, but nevertheless I felt inspired to dedicate this post-exam period to doing those feasible things that I enjoy most. Like reading Kerouac, or wearing ties. Or writing in my blog more often. ;-) I'm sorry it's been so long. I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments: